Controlled excavation with unmatched vacuum powerLoram’s Railvac® (LRV) is a powerful, rail-mounted specialty excavating machine that removes up to 35 cubic yards of material per hour using mechanical agitation and airflow. The most productive vacuum-based maintenance of way excavation machine on the market, the Railvac combines a diesel engine-powered manipulator arm and powerful, twin engine vacuum pumps, making it capable of excavating a host of material challenges including compacted or ice-crusted ballast, clay, mud, water, sand and soil.
The versatile Loram Railvac offers precision control, unmatched power and a compact footprint, applying an industry-leading 5,000 pounds of force to break up tough material in a way that a rotating nozzle alone cannot. Compact power and control makes it ideal for excavating specialty trackwork, trackside equipment and yard applications, with maximum accessibility to traverse and operate within restricted clearances, including tunnels, passenger platforms and bridges.
Railvac applications include:
- Cribbing and undercutting mud spots
- Removing fouled ballast and debris from tunnels
- Cleaning and installing drain tiles and culverts
- Cross trenching for cables and pipes
- Removing ballast from bridge decks and grade crossings without removing ties or rail
- Undercutting switches and diamonds
- Excavating contaminated materials from yards and stations
- Yard cleaning and reconstruction
- Locating and excavating cables without damage
The Railvac offers unmatched flexibility to accommodate hard to reach track structures. The nozzle can tilt 45° from vertical in any direction to reach ballast under hard to reach track structures, such as third rail. The nozzle can also work at distances up to 15 feet from track centerline, maximizing the work area.
Loram Railvac capabilities and features include:
- Industry leading vacuum power
- Typical results depend on application and material conditions - Loose, granular material—up to 35 yd³/hr
- Built to work in tough Class I railroad conditions and on commuter or transit railroad environments
- Advanced, self-cleaning dust filtration system
- Ability to discharge excavated material up to 30 feet from track centerline Designed to travel at track speeds up to 45 mph while towing fully loaded material handling cars
- Compacted, moderately fouled—up to 20 yd³/hr
- Heavily cemented or clay filled—up to 10 yd³/hr